Wednesday, April 7, 2010

So Stockholm...


It's amazing how a place can be impacted by the experience, the people, the weather, the smells, and the sounds. What is a place, but for the sensuality of it? One person may hate a city while another loves it.


Well, I loved Stockholm. The weather was perfect, the people were brilliant, and I ate like a madwoman. I spent my easter on a high foggy rock at midnight, drinking wine, and looking over the city with people from all over the world.


The topography makes the city. It's a collection of rocks, emerging from the Baltic, and topped with high trees and old buildings. Actually, it's one of the few cities that is built on an Archipelago, and once outside the city, there are hundreds of small islands dotted with vacation homes. I could imagine a life here, swimming in the ocean during the summer, sunning on a

granite rock, on an island only accessible by

boat. Apparently, one in 6 people who live in Stockholm (or Sweden) own a boat. I could see why. If only the city had eternal summer, and not the 8 month winter. There was still snow on the ground when we were there in April. Maybe I'll have to find another archipelago.



We took a ferry out to an island...got our nature on and such...it's quite beautiful out there. If anyone actually reads this, and chooses to visit, the archipelago is a must. Also, the little brass man near the Finnish church will give you good luck if you leave him something and rub his head.


Good trip...Edinburgh in 2 days. I'm very excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment